Hey everyone (all like 4 of you that read this haha)! I just wanted apologize for not posting for a while, but I've got finals coming up so I've been busy busy!

I'll get back to posting regularly after next week. One thing I did want to mention first is a bit about training. Someone asked about where to take their dog for training today, and I realized I hadn't posted about that like I meant to.

Petco in Lawrence (and I'm sure all the others do too) offers puppy training classes as well as other training classes for advanced dogs. The puppy classes are $100 (or $10 per class if you like to think of it that way). I'm pretty sure there were 10 classes, at least. They did a great job not only teaching my dog how to behave, but they also taught ME how to teach my dog...and even better how to UNDERSTAND him.

I realized just how much they had taught me when I saw a couple with their first dog out at the dog park the other day. Their dog was timid, but not scared by any means. They thought their dog was SO scared and that all of the other dogs were attacking her. I tried to give a little bit of direction, but I don't like to be too overbearing...if people don't solicit my help, I try not to give it (except on here). But I remember being just like them when I first got Koopa. I thought he was so fragile.

When I went to the first free Puppy Socialization that Petco offers, I was SO offended when Ashley the trainer called my dog a scaredy cat. He was so little and those other dogs were bullies! He had reason to be scared!

But now I see that he was a wuss. She helped him learn how to be a dog, and she taught me how to let him be a dog. Now I know exactly when he passes him comfort level with bigger, aggressive dogs and I know when to step in. I know to not pick him up if he whines because that will only make him think he should be scared when somewhat scary things happen.

I'd say half of what I learned about dog behavior came from the FREE puppy playtimes. I don't think I mentioned it, but they hold them on Sundays at 2pm. You have to show that your dog is up to date on shots and things like that, but they are free free free! If you can't afford the actual classes, do yourself and your dog a favor and go to these every week.

If anyone has any questions about the classes, please let me know!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

Have a new puppy or an older dog that isn't quite trained as well as you want? After raising a puppy myself, I've learned quite a bit, and I'd like to share that with you. I don't claim to be a professional trainer or even that what I have to share will help you with your dog, but I hope what I've learned will improve your relationship with your dog and make ownership more enjoyable.

About Me

My photo
I'm a 26 year old pharmacy grad living the life with my lover (lol), two dogs & three cats in Kansas. I have IBS, but I try to not let it define me. I fail. ;)

Koopa

Koopa
My pup- then and now