Before I begin, I need to write a sort of disclaimer. First, I do not have a perfect dog. He is a puppy and no matter how much time I spend training him, he'll still be a puppy. He'll still probably chew up the rug, pee in the house every once in a while, go psycho when he greets another dog, and pull on the leash sometimes. But he's a puppy. I also am only writing this based on what I've learned with my dog & what I can remember/fit into each post. So what I'm trying to say is that even after reading these posts and trying things with your dog, he still may misbehave. I do not claim to be a professional trainer or to be able to "fix" your dog. This blog is here to help you better understand your dog and to have a better relationship with them. Also, I'll probably say "he" or "him" because my dog is a boy. Deal! :P

There are a few things you need to know before you get started training your dog.

  • Socialization is KEY!
    • There are so many things that can go wrong if your dog is not socialized. Socialization teaches your dog a few things:
      • How to play correctly
      • How to use bite inhibition
      • Where they lie as far as dominate/submissive goes
      • How to greet dogs
      • How to be brave!
      • How to share nicely
    • It also teaches you a few things:
      • Dog calming signals
      • How dogs play (so you don't get worried & think they're fighting)
      • How to recognize levels of aggression
    • What could go wrong if you don't socialize your dog:
      • Attacking dogs it's not used to
      • Marking when other animals come near or marking where he smells other dogs
        • This gets SO annoying because you end up having to stop at every tree on walks so your dog can cover up other dog's smells
      • Being possessive of food
  • Your puppy will turn into a dog, and those things that may have been cute as a puppy will NOT be cute as an adult
    • Biting
    • Grabbing the leash on a walk
    • Jumping up
    • Barking
  • The dog needs to understand that your are the leader, and they need to follow
    • If not, they will never listen to you
  • Your emotions transfer to your dog
    • If there's loud thunder and you act afraid (or even happy-excited), your dog will learn to be afraid of thunderstorms
    • If there's a lawn mower outside and you act excited, your dog will act excited (read: BARK!) every time a lawn mower comes by
      • This is even true of you saying, "It's ok!" in a very excited voice
    • When you want to convey calm to your dog, make sure your voice is even-toned, almost monotone, or you will excite your dog which is hardly ever a good thing
  • Before you start training, you need to make sure you have time for it each and every day
    • Consistency is key:
      • Set up a time every day that you can take 30 minutes to train your dog
      • Make sure every member of your family agrees on training techniques:
        • Hand signals
        • Voice cues
        • Goal of the command
  • If there is ANYTHING on the floor (or even a few feet up) that you don't want destroyed, put it somewhere the puppy isn't allowed
    • Even if things aren't off the floor, the puppy can still destroy things
      • Koopa ate through a wall (that can be patched) and ripped up some carpet (which will have to be replaced)
      • It's not just shoes that puppies eat! They'll eat anything!

Leave me comments if you have questions! I will be going further into many of the topics I brought up in the coming days/weeks. If there's anything you'd like to learn about, let me know and I'll write about it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome!

Have a new puppy or an older dog that isn't quite trained as well as you want? After raising a puppy myself, I've learned quite a bit, and I'd like to share that with you. I don't claim to be a professional trainer or even that what I have to share will help you with your dog, but I hope what I've learned will improve your relationship with your dog and make ownership more enjoyable.

About Me

My photo
I'm a 26 year old pharmacy grad living the life with my lover (lol), two dogs & three cats in Kansas. I have IBS, but I try to not let it define me. I fail. ;)

Koopa

Koopa
My pup- then and now